Monday, February 09, 2009

Enjoying each day...

The other day I went into Blake's room to wake him up from his nap so he would sleep well during the night. (I just realized he's still in his pajamas in this picture, must have been one of those days.) Before I woke him up I was staring at him and thinking what a sweet boy I have and how did he grow up so fast! It made me think about a talk that was given last conference about enjoying each day and moment, and that someday we will look back and even miss the sticky finger prints on our walls. I really think that talk was meant for me. I have learned it's ok to throw out the to-do list sometimes. The laundry will always be waiting for me, the kitchen floor may be sticky and gross, my carpet will most likely have ground up cereal in it. Before I heard that talk I was feeling so overwhelmed with each day, I felt like I could never stay on top of everything. I couldn't keep my home clean the way I would like it to be and be a good mom. It was hard to find a good balance. I knew I needed to relax about my to-do lists and focus more on the time I spent with my kids. As I've tried to do this, I've realized how fun it is to just sit back and watch my kids during the day. Kids really do say the funniest things and I am glad that I've finally realized that I cant be this supermom that's I've been trying to be, and that what my kids really want is just time with me.

4 comments:

Natasha said...

This is so true. Thanks for the reminder.

Carrick family said...

Oh, yeah I remember that talk and I needed to hear that too. We all don't have to be perfect. After Whitney losing her baby & my other friend losing her daughter, it made me realize how precious our time is with our kids. Blake is a cute baby!

Caroline said...

awwwww teri! thats sooo cute! u r such a great mom!!

Joe and Liz said...

I need to go back and read that talk again. I remember hearing that at conference and thinking just like you, that it was just for me. Thanks for the reminder!