Saturday, February 25, 2012

A birthday I will always remember...

Yesterday Blake was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Not a great way to spend my birthday. On Thursday night he had his lab work done.  I laid awake all night, I could not sleep because in my gut I knew he had diabetes. The constant peeing every 10 minutes, always thirsty and hungry, belly aches and dry hands. On Thursday afternoon I checked his blood sugar with Brooklyn's meter he tested 244, I checked him two hours later he was 390. I checked for ketones, he had none so he wasn't in any immediate danger. The first person I called was my sister in law Amber, her son also has diabetes. She understands the worry and stress that comes with taking care of child with diabetes. She cried with me on the phone, because we both knew what this meant. I was trying to convince myself he did not have diabetes, I thought maybe it was just a fluke and he had two bad readings. The next morning  I met with Brooklyn's Endocrinologist to go over Blake's lab work that we had done the night before. The minute I walked in she hugged and me and I started crying again! She sat down with me and said he did in fact have diabetes. I kept thinking I shouldn't be this upset, I know how to manage diabetes.  But this time is different, now that I have taken care of Brooklyn's diabetes for almost 1 year I know how emotional and hard it is. It almost seemed worse this time. Taking care of 1 diabetic child can be really hard. The thought of having another child have this disease is overwhelming. I realize there are worse diagnoses then diabetes, but it's still a really challenging disease for a child and parent that you never get a break from.

When I picked up Brooklyn and Weston from school yesterday I was really sad.  Brooklyn asked what was wrong, and I told her. She looked at me, her eyes all watered up and said "Mom, the scientist have to find a cure for Blake, they don't need to give me the cure but Blake needs it. He's too little have to have diabetes".  I starting crying again, what a special little girl I have. The rest of the day, she kept trying to make me happy for my birthday. She said something else yesterday that made me smile, she said "Mom, I know how much work it is for you to take care of me, so I'm going to start making my own lunches in morning for school. I will measure my own food, count the carbs and write them on the post-note for the school nurse. I will learn how to change my own pump site too. Then you will only have to take care of Blake and not me." Tears again! 

So we are on day #2 with starting Blake on insulin shots, counting his carbs and him being a on a schedule of when he eats. It will be hard for a 4 year old, he is a snacker and loves to eat. He won't be able to just go grab something in the pantry anymore without asking. He has been pretty brave with the shots, not as emotional as Brooklyn when she was first diagnosed. So that's been nice. When I check Brooklyn's BG at 2:00am she sleeps right through it, I checked Blake's last night and he woke right up. Gosh, I hope he doesn't wake up everynight. It took him 10 minutes to decide between a "Cars" bandaide or "Toy Story".  I laid awake all night thinking about Blake and how the next few weeks will be for him with all the changes. It will be hard for him. He asked this morning when he can can get a pump like Brooklyn, I said not for a while. Brooklyn pipes in and said he can use mine! I will go back to shots:)

I miss the days where I could send my kids to bed and all of us could sleep through the night worry free. My sleep and Rich's sleep has not been the same for a year, the worry of Brooklyn and now Blake going low in the night makes sleep not as enjoyable and not as sound. 

It always helps me to count my blessings when I'm given challenges that seem too hard, I have been blessed with so much.  Blake will still be the happy goofy kid that adds so much personality to our family and Brooklyn will have a new diabetes buddy right at home, she's not alone in this anymore. It will be good for them to have eachother. 
Blake with his Rufas Diabetes Bear

Brooklyn teaching her little brother everything she knows.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Terri, I'm sorry to hear about Blake. I'm glad that Brooklyn is able to be a mentor for him. This will bond them together for the rest of their lives. I'll keep you all in my prayers. Can little children have continuous glucose meters? I know that it has saved Jason's life on a nightly basis. I hear his meter go off several times a night.

Dave and Sherri said...

Oh Teri! I am SO SORRY!!! I can only imagine what it would be like to hear a second child has diabetes!!! From what I hear though - you're a PRO!!! Blake also has an amazing example with his big sister! My prayers are with you!!! XOXO

Kathleen said...

Terri, I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep your familyin our prayers. Thanks for sharing your story!

Jessi Miller said...

Awe Terri! I am so sorry that Blake, Brooklyn, and you guys all have to go throught this. Brought tears to my eyes. I have celiac disease and worry so much about my kids getting it. I am sure that at least one of them will. I dread that day. Though I still think Diabetes would be worse, because of the shots and fear of them going low. I am so sorry. They have amazing parents, and a strong mother who takes such great care of them. You amaze me at how wonderful of a mother you are. I always read your blog and wish to be half the mother you are. I will keep your sweet family in my prayers. HUGS!!

amy said...

First I want to say HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TERI!!! I sure do miss you and I hope the a midst everything you were able to celebrate a little bit. Also I just wanted to let you know that my heart and prayers are with you. I can't imagine how difficult it is with two children with diabetes--you are such a strong, strong person and I am always in awe with your faith and perseverance. I love you Teri!!

Unknown said...

I always read your blog I just never post. Teri, you are amazing. Never forget that. You are strong and resilient and you will make it through this. I'm sorry it had to be on your birthday..

Hollie said...

Hi Terri! You don't know me but my name is Hollie and I'm a friend of April who is Joette's sister. I like to consider Joette a friend too, as I've met her a couple of times & think she is wonderful. Anyway, I sure hope you don't mind me taking a peek at your blog. April sent me the link because we are in a pretty similar situation right now.

My two youngest children were both diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one month ago today. My son, Urban is 4 and my daughter, Delilah is 2. I sat here bawling as I read your post. I felt as though I was reading my own thoughts. I have felt so many of the things you expressed. I am so sorry for your sweet family.

My husband is a type 1 diabetic as well. He was diagnosed when he was 6. I've always known that I would have a diabetic child...I just didn't think I'd have 2, or that it would happen so young or at the same time. And I have also totally felt like maybe I shouldn't be so devastated because we are already so familiar with it because of my husband. But as you said, being on the mother end of it is so different.

Anyway, I really needed to read your words. You sound like an amazing mother. I would love to check back now & again to see how your family is doing with everything. I have not updated my blog in months but you are free to visit if you'd like. I have a post about my kids' being diagnosed that I haven't posted yet because I haven't quite figured out how to word all of my emotions...but hopefully it will be on there soon. Sorry, I didn't mean to write you a book. It's just so nice to find someone who understands. Hope you are all doing well.

Hollie

LAURA said...

happy belated birthday! I'm sorry it had to come with such heavy news, poor Blake. Thinking of you.

Natasha said...

I'm not sure why, but I was totally shocked when I read this post. I guess I just didn't think one family should have to deal with so much. There are lessons beyond measure in little Brooklyn's statements. What a sweet, brave little girl. You guys have such a wonderful family, which is exactly why you can do this.