Thursday, November 19, 2009

Consequences of a long shower...

I don't know if you can see very well in this picture, but there are hundreds of little beads all over my kitchen floor. I should have taken a panoramic picture so you could see that my entire kitchen floor was covered with craft beads!!
This is my dilemma, I like to take long showers in the morning before I start my day. It's the one small moment in the day just to myself. I even give myself a little pep talk in the shower, I really do! I tell myself... my kids are going to spill milk today, they are going to make messes, they are going to fight, color on the walls and they will do things that will test my patience. Then I say a small prayer that I will not lose my temper and that I will be a good mom and have a good day. But when I take 20 minutes in the shower instead of a quick 5 minute shower, I can always count on coming out to a BIG disaster! It usually involves the boys trying to pour milk themselves, crayons on the walls or the couch, cereal mushed up all in the carpet or something is broken. The other day Blake got my lipstick out of my purse and colored all over the wall! (Thank goodness for magic erasers.) My kids know that once I hit the shower the house is theirs! I sometimes wonder if my long showers are worth the mess at the end. What do you think? I'm thinking they are worth it, because every morning when I'm in the shower I KNOW my boys are up to something, but I still continue to take my long shower. Maybe it's because I know what's waiting for me when I get out.

7 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

I love your little pep talks in the shower....I need to try that one!! :)

Amy said...

It's a trade-off. What I'm wondering is does that pep talk work when you get out and see the mess? I think I'm going to need to start doing that myself.

Kelly said...

I LOVE my morning showers! Absolutly need them, and if I somehow can't get one it throws my day off. I have talks to myself in the shower too. But I usually vent to myself about whatever is bothering me. It actually makes me feel better. It is WORTH the mess when you get out! My kids used to ask me "mom, when are getting in the shower?" I realized they were asking me so they could get into the pantry. Anyway, I can so relate.

Nate, Holly, Parker, Joshua, Ethan and Grace said...

what a mess!!!!!!!

Natasha said...

Yay for solo shower time! I pray in the shower. I know I will have the next 8 minutes to myself without interruption, so I pray (which essentially has the same purpose as the pep talk.) Here's the way I see it: the mess is going to happen regardless, so enjoy your shower!

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? Crazy lady you totally deserve those minutes or hour in the shower your the most fantastic mom on the planet! Not to mention the wife we all wish we were...

Carrick family said...

Oh wow, that is crazy!!! Yeah for sure, the long shower is worth it!!!